MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact

Tests of English


Colleges and universities will want to know how strong your English comprehension is, including your ability to read, analyze, speak and write in English. Some colleges have programs to assist the English Language Learner, but you will need to be tested to assess your current level of English. Check with the college in which you are interested to find out what the procedure for applying and accessing ELL resources is.


At the University of Minnesota, the general policy is as follows: If you score 17 or lower on either the Reading or English portions of the ACT, you will need to take the MELAB or TOEFL test to qualify for the Commanding English Program. The University recommends that you take the MELAB or TOEFL, not the ACT, if you have lived in the United States for less than 8 years.


Help with applications


The College and Career Center is available to help students complete applications.  The College and Career Center is now located on the 1st floor of the West Building, W106.  Stop in during office hours or call 612-668-3065 to arrange an appointment.


Scholarship Information


Check the scholarship and financial aid information on this web site or visit the College and Career Center.  The lists and links section has websites with information in both English and Spanish.  Check the lists and ask for applications for any scholarships for which you qualify.  Other places to check:


  • Bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders have books that list thousands of scholarships.
  • Your parents’ place of employment.
  • Your job may offer scholarships.
  • Pay attention this winter for when the applications for the Wallin scholarships are available.