The Southwest Community Education Green Team is made up of more than 60 Southwest High School students. The goal of the Green Team is to promote authentic opportunities for youth leadership and to create self-directed investigation of promotion of environmental issues & concerns. The Green Team has an executive board of ten members, and the executive board leads meetings, sets up Green Team activities, and writes grants.
The Green Team is a volunteer group, and it does require a one-school year commitment to remain as an active member of the Green Team. This is an extremely popular group, and it is the largest student group at Southwest. Meetings are held one Wednesday a month from 6:30-8:00 P.M. All Green Team members are expected to meet the following commitments:
1. Attend at least 5 out of the 8 Wednesday night meetings
2. Presenting environmental information to at least 2 SW or elementary school classes
3. Participate in, at least, 2 Green Team approved community service projects
4. Help with the Green Team Earth Day Community Clean-up Day on April 22, 2017.
5. Go on at least one environmental tour (visit a wind turbine, electricity plant, farm etc)
6. Participate with the Green Team Garbage Games.
7. Help take care of the Linden Hills Wildflower Trolley.
The Green Team has made fleece blankets for the Crisis Nursery Center and toured their facility, they learned how to make solar food drying ovens, made newspaper recycling bins, weatherized windows for SWHS as well as community residents, built a home for Habitat for Humanity, packaged food for Feed my starving children, provided help at the Southwest Community Ed. Family Halloween Party, and toured the Brooklyn Center Recycling Center, and participated in programs involving solar ovens, recycling of hazardous waste, making natural home cleaners and fresheners, and learned how to build/remodel energy efficient homes.
For more information please contact the advisor Andrew Gramm 612.668.2108 | Andrew.Gramm@mpls.k12.mn.us.
To report absenses or contact the Executive Board, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow the Green Team on Instagram @swhsgreenteam